Teofimo Lopez vs Martin – ESPN+ – Dec. 10 – 9 pm ET
Lopez-Martin headlines a loaded quadruple-header LIVE on ESPN, ESPN Deportes & ESPN+ at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT
Martin replaces Jose Pedraza, who contracted a non-COVID-related illness
Junior welterweight contender Teofimo Lopez will have a new “Heisman Night” foe. Jose “Sniper” Pedraza contracted a non-COVID-related illness, and Lopez will now face former European champion Sandor Martin on Saturday, Dec. 10, at Madison Square Garden.
Lopez-Martin, scheduled for 10 rounds, is a final eliminator for the WBC world title.
Brooklyn native Lopez (17-1, 13 KOs), the former lightweight king, made his junior welterweight debut in August with a seventh-round stoppage over Pedro Campa. He hopes to become a two-weight world champion in 2023, but the WBO No. 1 junior welterweight contender must first defeat the slippery Spanish southpaw. Martin (40-2, 13 KOs), who hails from Barcelona, authored the 2021 Upset of the Year when he stunned Mikey Garcia by majority decision and sent the four-weight world champion into retirement. Martin, ranked in the top 15 by all four major sanctioning organizations, followed up the Garcia triumph with a 10-round unanimous decision over Jose Felix in April.
“We wish Jose Pedraza a speedy recovery, but we look forward to facing Sandor Martin. He was the opponent we originally wanted for Heisman Night at Madison Square Garden,” Lopez said. “I will continue to silence the doubters as I take over the 140-pound division. I look forward to giving my hometown fans a special night of boxing.”
Martin said, “I’ve dreamed of fighting in a main event at Madison Square Garden. This is my time. I’ve taken the risk, and I will take control against Teofimo Lopez on December 10th. I will give the fans what they want to see.”
Lopez-Martin tops a televised quadruple-header airing immediately after the Heisman Trophy Ceremony at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT on ESPN, ESPN Deportes and ESPN+. Heavyweight sensation Jared “The Real Big Baby” Anderson aims for his 13th straight knockout against the battle-tested Jerry “Slugger” Forrest, Puerto Rican junior middleweight star Xander Zayas steps up in class against 28-fight veteran Alexis Salazar, and 2020 Olympic silver medalist Keyshawn Davis looks to jumpstart his world title ambitions in a lightweight duel versus Juan Carlos Burgos.
TEOFIMO LOPEZ VS. SANDOR MARTIN DATE, START TIME
- Date: Saturday, December 10
- Card start time: 9.00 p.m. ET / 2.00 a.m. GMT
- Main event ringwalks (approx): 11 p.m. ET / 4 a.m. GMT
- The fight will be broadcast on Sky Sports in the UK, and for viewers in the US they can watch it LIVE on ESPN+
- The fight will be staged at the Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York.
- The preliminary card is set to get underway at 9.00 p.m. ET / 2.00 a.m. GMT with the Lopez vs. Martin ringwalks scheduled for 11 p.m. ET / 4 a.m. GMT.
- (ESPN, ESPN Deportes & ESPN+, 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT)
• Teofimo Lopez 139.2 vs. Sandor Martin 139.8
(Lopez’s WBO International & NABF Junior Welterweight Titles/WBC Title Eliminator — 10 Rounds
• Jared Anderson 239 lbs vs. Jerry Forrest 228.2 lbs
(Vacant WBO Intercontinental and Silver USNBC Heavyweight Titles — 10 Rounds)
• Xander Zayas 153 lbs vs. Alexis Salazar 153.8 lbs
(Zayas’ NABO and Vacant NABF Junior Middleweight Titles — 8 Rounds)
• Keyshawn Davis 134.8 lbs vs. Juan Carlos Burgos 134 lbs
(Vacant WBO Intercontinental & USNBC Lightweight Titles— 8 Rounds)
(ESPN+, 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT)
• Frederic Julan 175.8 lbs vs. Joe Ward 174.4 lbs
(Light Heavyweight — 8 Rounds)
• Damian Knyba 245.8 lbs vs. Emilio Salas 217 lbs
(Heavyweight— 6 Rounds)
• Tiger Johnson 141 lbs vs. Mike Ohan Jr. 141.6 lbs
(Junior Welterweight — 8 Rounds)
* The Jahi Tucker-Ivan Pandzic fight was called off after Tucker missed weight
* The Bruce Carrington-Juan Tapia bout was canceled because Tapia was not cleared by the New York State Athletic Commission