Romero vs Barroso – Showtime – May 13 – 9 pm ET
This coming Saturday, May 13, Rolando “Rolly’’ Romero will be pitted against the top contender Ismael Barroso for the available WBA Super Lightweight World Title. The event will be live-streamed from The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas’ Chelsea venue on SHOWTIME, headlining a Premier Boxing Champions program. The showdown between these two aggressive fighters, both known for their power punches, promises to be another captivating 140-pound title contest in a division already teeming with skill.
The SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® broadcast starts at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT and will showcase two more super lightweight clashes. The co-main event will feature former double-division world champion Rances Barthelemy taking on the dynamic Omar “El Relámpago” Juarez in a 10-round super lightweight battle. Opening the telecast, top super lightweight contenders Batyr Akhmedov and Kenneth Sims Jr. will square off in a 12-round duel for the WBA Super Lightweight World Title Eliminator.
WHAT TIME IS ROMERO VS. BARROSO TODAY?
- Date: Saturday, May 13
- Start time: 9 p.m. ET / 2 a.m. BST
- Main event ringwalks (approx): 11 p.m. ET / 4 a.m. BST
- Showtime will broadcast the fight in the U.S.
- The fight will take place in The Chelsea at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas.
- The main card is set to get underway at 9 p.m. ET / 2 a.m. BST with the main event ringwalks scheduled for 11 p.m. ET / 4 a.m. BST.
Alberto Puello, the previous holder of the WBA 140-pound title, is no longer in the main event following a failed VADA test.
Romero (14-1, 12 KOs), a member of the Mayweather Promotions team, is renowned for his bold statements, power punches, and thrilling, one-of-a-kind style, making his appearances in the ring must-watch events. Romero will be stepping back into the ring after his May 2022 loss to three-division champion Gervonta Davis. Before this, Romero secured an interim title in August 2020 with a tight but unanimous win over the then undefeated Jackson Marinez. The 27-year-old followed this up with two knockout victories, first dominating Avery Sparrow with a seventh-round stoppage in January 2021 and then defeating former title challenger Anthony Yigit with a seventh-round stoppage in July 2021 after three knockdowns.
Romero stated, “Regardless of who I fight on May 13, I’m a star, and I’m going to shine. I’m thrilled to put on a show in my hometown, Las Vegas, and for everyone tuning in on SHOWTIME. I won’t leave the ring without that belt.”
“I think Barroso is actually a better fighter than Alberto Puello, because he can actually crack. Any time you’re in a fight with a puncher, you know it’s gonna be difficult.
“I’m not underestimating him. I know he can hit and he’s a little tricky. He throws a good straight left that comes out of nowhere that he’s been getting guys with. So I’m definitely not underestimating him.
“I’m going to make 140-pounds the most popping division in boxing. I see many pay-per-view events and I’m involved in all of them.
“The only thing that I learned from the Gervonta Davis fight is that I need to be patient. Patience is everything in life.
“Everyone can expect to see ‘Rolly’ with the world title around his waist Saturday night. Every fighter that boxes dreams of becoming world champion, so it would be a dream come true.
“I do like trash talking, but this isn’t a trash talking fight. I have to respect this man next to me. Someone didn’t want to follow all the rules, so I have to be grateful Barroso is here.
“This is the beginning of the ‘Rolly’ show again. It’s gonna be fireworks.
Barroso (24-3-2, 22 KOs), a seasoned fighter, is aiming to win a WBA title for the second time. He fell short in his previous world title pursuit, losing to Anthony Crolla for a lightweight championship in 2016. Barroso, originally from Tigre, Venezuela, and now residing in Miami, Fla., has claimed victory in four consecutive fights – three by knockout – after suffering two consecutive defeats in 2018. His latest triumph was a fourth-round knockout against Fernando David Saucedo last August, propelling him to the No. 1 contender spot for the WBA 140-pound title.
ROMERO VS. BARROSO FIGHT CARD
- Rances Barthelemy 142.6 vs. Omar Juarez 142.2 lbs.
- Rolly Romero 139.4 vs. Ismael Barroso 139.4
- Batyr Akhmedov 138.8 vs. Kenneth Sims Jr. 139.2
- Esteuri Suero 139.2 vs. Starling Castillo 139.6
- Michael Angeletti 118.2 vs. Michell Banquez 118.8
Romero vs Barroso News
- Rolly Romero says Devin Haney has "inferior genetics" and Shakur Stevenson is too boring for PPV - Marca English
- What time is the Rolly Romero vs. Ismael Barroso fight tonight ... - dazn.com
- "Rolly" Romero Captures 140-pound Title, Stops Ismael Barroso - Premier Boxing Champions
- Rolly Romero Vs. Ismael Barroso: Odds, Records, Prediction - Forbes
- Rolando Romero vs. Ismael Barroso fight prediction, odds, undercard, start time, Showtime Boxing - CBS Sports