Franco vs Ioka – June 24 – 6 am ET
Kazuto Ioka and Joshua Franco lock horns once more on the 24th of June in Tokyo, Japan. Do you remember the New Year’s Eve brawl in Japan, where both put on a memorable show? That’s right, Ioka valiantly defended his WBO title while Franco staked his WBA belt, leading to an intensely fought battle that left boxing fans thrilled. After twelve riveting rounds, the majority draw verdict left a bitter taste in many mouths, especially those who argued that Franco might have been a tad hard done.
This time, only Franco’s WBA title hangs in the balance. Ioka, dissatisfied with his debut performance, chose an unexpected path. He vacated his WBO belt, disobeying the orders to defend it against Junto Nakatini, the mandatory challenger. Why, you ask? Simply put, Ioka chose the road less traveled to secure another opportunity to face Franco. Let’s appreciate Ioka’s determination, his record standing at 29-2-1(15), mirroring what champions do when they could have easily avoided a challenging face-off with Franco.
FRANCO VS. IOKA FIGHT DATE, START TIME TODAY
- Date : Saturday, June 24
- Time : 7 a.m. ET / 12 p.m. BST / 8 p.m. JST
- Main event ringwalks (approx): 9:00 a.m. ET / 2:00 p.m. BST / 10 p.m. JST
- The fight will take place at the Ota City General Gymnasium, in Tokyo, Japan
- There are no confirmed broadcast details for the fight in the US or UK.
- The main card is set to get underway at 7 a.m. ET / 12 p.m. BST / 8 p.m. JST with the main event ringwalks scheduled for 9:00 a.m. ET / 2:00 p.m. BST / 10 p.m. JST. These timings could change due to the length of the undercard fights.
Similarly, Franco, originating from San Antonio, Texas, deserves an applaud for heading back into what many perceive as hostile terrain. His performance last December, despite not winning, elevated his standing in the boxing world. Franco appeared to have dominated most of the rounds in the first half of the duel. Ioka, who is seven years Franco’s senior, turned the tide in the second half of this thrilling contest.
The impending June rematch is set to be another demanding test for both fighters, a reminder of the tenacity true champions display. Is another fight spanning the distance a likely scenario? It appears so, and it wouldn’t be farfetched to argue that either fighter could emerge victorious. In the much-loved sport of boxing, it’s often the underdogs who surprise us with their remarkable performances. Does this rematch promise such a spectacle?
FRANCO VS. IOKA FIGHT CARD
- Joshua Franco vs. Kazuto Ioka, rematch, 12 rounds, for Franco’s WBA junior bantamweight title
- Musashi Mori vs. Takuya Watanabe, 12 rounds, junior lightweights
- Daigo Higa vs. Sirichai Thaiyen, 10 rounds, bantamweights
- Kantaro Juri vs. Wilbert Berondo, 8 rounds, junior bantamweights
- Taiga Tamegai vs. Fumiaki Iwasaki, 4 rounds, junior featherweights
Franco vs Ioka News
- What time is Joshua Franco vs. Kazuto Ioka 2 today? Japan to U.S. ... - Sporting News
- Joshua Franco vs. Kazuto Ioka 2: Fight card, start time, date - Bloody Elbow
- What Time Does Joshua Franco vs Kazuto Ioka Boxing Match Start ... - FanDuel Research
- Joshua Franco feeling strong ahead of rematch with Kazuto Ioka - The Japan Times